What is Firstep?
Firstep is a long-term residential recovery program that offers a unique approach to recovery from drugs and alcohol. Firstep is not treatment, but is a sober living community based on the Social Model. Residents are linked with intensive outpatient services and licensed therapists based on individual need.
The Firstep Programs are funded through employer contracts, client fees once employment begins, private donors, foundation, and other partners. There is no out-of-pocket to the resident or family.
Resident Admission Criteria
- Living with an addiction to drugs and/or alcohol
- Over the age of 18
- Willing and able to work full time
- Participate in the 12-step program
- Able to self administer medication
- OKC Metro Alliance operates both Men’s and Women’s Firstep programs. Each campus is on a sprawling acreage in South Oklahoma City.
- Firstep is unique in that there is no out of pocket cost to the resident, rather, the income generated by our community partnerships and resident’s job sites sustain the programs.
- OKCMA hires residents directly to work within the community and works up to 40 hours per week.
- Residents are provided with transportation to and from work as well as any other services or meetings they may need to attend. Volunteers offer classes and meetings on campus as well as online.
In July of 2020, both Men’s and Women’s Firstep programs achieved OKARR (Oklahoma Alliance for Recovery Residences) certification. Based on standards and requirements that meet national best practices, OKARR certification affirms the quality of recovery housing that both Firstep programs provide. OKARR is an affiliate of the National Alliance for Recovery Residences (NARR). In 2022, Firstep programs earned their OKARR recertification.
Call us now to make a referral or complete a screening! We are here for you and ready to help you take that first step.
Men’s Firstep 405.799.7540
Women’s Firstep 405.794.2834
what is offered at Firstep
It is never a dull moment at the facilities with 66 resident beds at Men’s Firstep, an additional 20 single-occupancy apartments in the new Men’s Lodge, and 56 resident beds at Women’s Firstep. Living in a therapeutic community, our resident relearn life skills, such as time management and job responsibilities that are often overlooked by the average person. In addition to creating valuable work habits, clients receive individual counseling, group therapy, relapse prevention, and parenting classes. Onsite GED classes are also offered to those who need them. Women’s Firstep residents receive Women in Transition curriculum and the Men’s Firstep residents attend Alpha mentoring classes and Step Action classes.
Referrals to the Firstep programs are received from a variety of resources such as graduates of the program, attorneys, drug and alcohol counselors, ministers, social workers, private physicians, twelve step recovery groups, court systems and jail alternative programs such as Drug Court which is in Fifty-nine (59) counties in Oklahoma. We serve all areas of the state of Oklahoma.
Ask us any questions you may have! We will respond to you as soon as possible!